Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Relationships: what to look for

In an earlier post I talked about taking time and finding a good relationship.  Well what is a good relationship?  Here's what I think.  Please note that this is based on my experience; results may not be typical.

A good couple typically has some things in common.  Shared interests, similar senses of humor, a minimum of habits that the other finds annoying, etc.  My girlfriend and I are both nerds; we fluently discuss Star Trek, Star Wars, Back to the Future, and make hilarious jokes about such things that most people would fail to understand.  It's nice.

But all this is, in a way, surface level.  It is certainly good to have, smooths things along, and makes a relationship more enjoyable.  What I have found truly defines a good relationship is a mutual desire on the part of each person to make the other one happy.

I hear many stories of people who intentionally do things that bother or embarrass their partners because they find it amusing.  I personally don't really understand this.  If you love someone, you should try to make them happy, not be an annoyance to them.

The other very important foundation of a successful relationship is communication.  A couple has to understand one another.  To do this, you must be open and honest.  Keeping things hidden from each other creates a wedge between a couple.

If you have some issue with your partner, bring it to their attention so, you can work it out together.  You can only make each other happy if you know what makes each other happy.  The same for avoiding hurting or upsetting each other.

Again, disclaimer: I can hardly be considered to know everything there is to know about relationships.  But I think it helpful to bear these things in mind going forth.  If you have any thoughts on the matter, feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment