Monday, June 6, 2011

The Shireshack

This post is a tribute to my friend Reese Shirey and his ice cream establishment, the Shireshack. The man is to ice cream what Da Vinci was to painting. He takes something that has been around for a long time, pours his heart into it, and makes it something spectacular. Ice cream is not a treat or a business to Reese, but an art form. I will leave the description of ice cream itself to him at his new blog, linked in the title of this post. For I could not hope to match his descriptions. I am simply here to honor the man and his writing.

Do you remember in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, (the good one) the song "the Candy Man Can"? I can easily imagine Reese dancing about and singing the glories of ice cream.This connoisseur makes his own ingredients (his own chocolate!), churns it himself, and then, to top it off, writes poetry about it. I refer you again to his blog.

And the flavors themselves are like nothing you've known. Not for Reese the comfort of familiarity. He invents his own flavors and does what he must to see his dreams into reality. Dutch Cocoa? Purchased. Bacon? Fried. Oreos? Carefully separated and the excess fluff removed.

If you like ice cream, and I'm not sure I know anyone who doesn't, check out shireshack.blogspot.com. And if you're in Tuscaloosa, buy a pint of his flavor of the week. It'll be worth it.

Also, he makes Star Wars references.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment