Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Sermon: Jedi

Another idea I had was to do a weekly religious article.  Published, naturally, on Sundays.  I wanted to start with something a bit light, but still (in my opinion) meaningful.  So naturally, I chose the Jedi religion.

            If you’ve met me, you probably recall my standard introduction: “Hi, I’m Andrew Reeves, nice to meet you.  I really love Star Wars.  Like, it’s ridiculous.”  Or words to that effect.  Sometimes I say it in the other order because really, the second one is more important.  And where many stereotypes have a Jesus or Buddha bobble-head on their dashboard, I chose a different spiritual leader.  That’s right, there is actually a Yoda bobble-head on my dashboard.  The lightsaber doesn’t glow in the dark, but that would be TOTALLY AWESOME!
            So what sort of spiritual guidance can be gleaned from the Jedi?  Either due to this being a different galaxy or a long time in the future, we seem unable to tap the Force.  But we can still learn from the guardians of the Republic.  I will start with a recitation of the Jedi Code:

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.*
There is no death; there is the Force.
*line four not found in all Jedi texts.

            There is a lot contained there, and we would do well to read carefully.  These are not to say that the first parts of the pairs do not exist, but rather that they are overcome by the second part.
A Jedi does not allow emotion or passion to rule him, but rather serenely and peacefully assesses a situation and bases decisions on logic and reason.  Acting unthinkingly out of passion clouds judgment and leads to the dark side.  By carefully examining available options, a Jedi can make a decision that brings about the greatest resolution, not merely the quickest.
            Ignorance is overcome by knowledge.  That seems obvious.  A Jedi learns all he can to become stronger, to make better decisions.  But also in that tenet is a reminder that knowledge can come from any source, even one that seems ignorant.  And from mistakes borne of ignorance can come greater knowledge.
            That leads directly into the fourth tenet.  The galaxy is a chaotic place.  Wars, (lots and lots of wars in Star Wars, let me tell you) religious schisms, heartbreaks, family disagreements, etc.  But from these unpredictable and often tragic events, a greater harmony can arise.  A Jedi recognizes the interconnectedness of life and events and uses even tragedies to bring about good.
            Once again, we do not seem to be able to touch the Force in our time and galaxy.  But there is still truth to the last tenet.  Look at the Force not as an energy field created by all living things, but as all living things themselves.  When an individual dies, they do not disappear as though they never were.  Their body persists and becomes a new generation of life.  Their spirit lives on in the lives they have touched.  Death is a natural part of life.

            It feels like there is more I want to say, but I’m not exactly sure how to.  If you want any clarification or elaboration, feel free to comment below or email me at lovedeathtrees@gmail.com.  The same applies to any thoughts on future discussions.  Any particular religion or religious topic you’d like to see my take on?

2 comments:

  1. My advice: use block paragraphs--i.e. don't indent. Rather space one line between paragraphs. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense. I originally typed this in word, where this format works fairly well.

    ReplyDelete