Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thor, and the comic book/mythology nerds who love him

Movie review time!  I recently watched the film Thor, and it was pretty awesome.  First of all, it was really good to see Natalie Portman not in a mental institution- er, a ballet, with hair, and nowhere near Hayden Christensen.  And I, at least, find the smart girl appealing.

Marvel knows how to make us nerds happy.  Cute girls, check.  But also important to us is a smug sense of the value of our nerdy knowledge.  So when the professor mentions his friend who was investigating gamma rays, we all go "Oooh!" because we know he's talking about Bruce Banner.  And when the government spook asks about Tony Stark, we all go "Oooh!" because, hey, we saw Iron Man.  And when Samuel L. Jackson shows up at the end, we all go "Oooh!" because it's Samuel L. Jackson, then "Oooh!" again because we know he's Nick Fury and Nick Fury is the head of Shield and Shield has to do with lots of super heroes because they're bringing them all together in the Avengers which they're making and oh my gosh they're making Avengers and it's going to be amazing!  Yeah, we nerds get excited about stuff like this.  Very excited.

I'm not as buff on my Norse mythology as I am on my Greek, but I know a little.  I played Midgard in Dark Age of Camelot, so the names are familiar.  Mjolnir?  Oh yeah, I was a Thane; I called Mjolnir all the time to crush my enemies and see them driven before me.*  From what I've gathered, the Norse gods were all about battle and f-ing people up with their comically oversized weapons.  Or something like that.  So when the professor picked up the Norse mythology book, I half expected him to conclude that this guy definitely wasn't Thor, because he's much to nice and... not smashing everyone's face in.  I have this idea that the real Thor, trapped in a mortal's body, starts training like crazy and eventually becomes a Z-fighter shooting kamehameha waves at everyone.  But, to confine his options to the Marvel universe, he'd probably inject himself with super-soldier serum, or build a super-suit, or don a black suit, or gamma-irradiate himself, or do any of the other thousand things people have done in Marvel to become super-heroes.  That'd be cool: Hulk-Thor!  Make that next, Marvel.  We nerds would love it.

*speaking of which, they're remaking Conan the Barbarian.  Expect another review after that comes out.

So how did you like Thor?  Or any other Marvel movie?  Got a movie review you'd like to see?  Never heard of Dark Age of Camelot?  Comment away, or email me at lovedeathtrees@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment